Monday, January 4, 2010

Me Lord?? REALLY, ME??

This last month or so, I have been VERY overwhelmed, to say the least. I recently got the assignment from our stake presidency, to be in charge of our MULTI-STAKE LDS Prom. Yes, I said MULTI-STAKE. That's 5 stakes to be exact. Or in other words, hundreds of 16-18 year olds, that I get the pleasure of planning a prom for.
When I first got the assignment...I was THRILLED!!! I was our ward activity chair for a couple years and it was, by far, my favorite calling. It's basically just planning 4major parties a year for your ward & it was a blast!!! Planning food, activities and decorations is a treat to me. I really do enjoy every detail of it.
But as time went on, I began to get overwhelmed...and doubtful that I was going to be able to do this assignment.
In the mean time, I submitted names to the Stake and got a committee pulled together of 13 AMAZINGLY TALENTED WOMEN. Our first meeting was the 2nd Sunday in December. We talked about themes for the prom and different ideas. I left that meeting feeling encouraged and confident that this was a truly inspired committee of women.
In the mean time, the work began. I met with our Stake Youth Council and presented the ideas that my committee had chosen. The youth council decided on a theme of "Bella Notte" an evening in Italy. I was excited!!
But as the advertising for the prom started and I began to hit small road blocks here and there, I again began to doubt in myself that I could do this. Would I really be able to pull together a prom for 200-300 kids by March. A prom that included advertising to 5 stakes, ticket sales, decorations, food, pictures, a game room, prizes, favors, and much, much more...including pulling together ideas from 13 different women and making all those ideas work somehow??
I found my self wondering...WHO WAS IT THAT HAD ENOUGH CONFIDENCE IN ME THAT THEY THOUGHT I COULD DO THIS?? REALLY, WHO WAS IT?? I WANTED TO KNOW AND I WANTED NAMES!!!
In my frustration, I commented on my FB page "Is it wrong to send in a resignation letter for a church calling??" The responses were mostly amusing and made me smile. But one of the comments REALLY hit me. It said "I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord..." and there is was. That was my answer. I no longer needed to know who had recommended me for this assignment. I had comfort in knowing that my Heavenly Father had confidence in me doing this assignment and doing it well. And really, that's all that mattered. That's all I needed to know. I find peace in knowing that my Father in Heaven knows me and knows that I can accomplish things that even I didn't know I could accomplish. I know it's just prom and it's not anything that will change the life of these youth that are going to attend it. But maybe in some small way, it will change my life or teach me a something that I couldn't have learned from anything else.

3 comments:

Talene said...

Your are an amazing woman!!!! I have faith in you and KNOW that you can do it!!!

Anonymous said...

I will remember that response next I get called. I am always overwhelmed at the confidence the Lord as me. I wish I had that same confidence in myself.

Team Skousen said...

HOW FUN! Activities committee was the best with you...too bad I was only there for such a short time. You will do AWESOME!