Monday, June 21, 2010

Our Weekend Away!

The end of last week (June 10-11), I was so stir crazy!! I had been stuck in the house with the boys for almost a month of summer & I was dying to go somewhere...anywhere. So I looked on Priceline to see if they had any good rates on hotels in San Diego. I didn't expect much because San Diego, in the summer is expensive. Much to my surprise, I got us a room at a 5-star resort for only $70 a night. I was so excited. I was beyond ready to pack my bags and go...However, I booked this room & planned this vaca with out even talking to my wonderful hubby about it. So I emailed him to let him know he may want to get Monday off of work because we were heading to San Diego for the weekend. To put it nicely, he was NOT thrilled. First off, he was a little worried about money. We had decided that we were not going to do any big vacations any time soon so that we could get caught up on finances. I reassured him that we would do it as cheap as possible...and we did!!
So first thing Saturday morning, we headed to CA. I packed as many snacks as I could so we wouldn't have to eat out.
We checked into our AMAZING hotel at about 3pm. 
 Our $70 a night got us a room in the Manchester Grand Hyatt in downtown San Diego. Located right next to Sea Port Village and right on the bay across from Coronado Island. It was a nice room that fit our whole family. It was funny to watch the boys as we settled into our hotel room...you would think they have NEVER left the house before!

We quickly headed up to La Jolla to go see the seals. The boys LOVED IT!!! It's better than a zoo & it's free!!
The older boys spent their time trying to get sprayed by the waves as they rolled into the breakwater platform that you view the seals from. It was hilarious and they both left soaked!!
After La Jolla, we headed back downtown and ate dinner at the Kansas City BBQ. The restaurant where they taped the bar scene of Top Gun. It was YUMMY!! Then we walked around Sea Port Village before heading back to the hotel for the night.
Sunday morning we woke up & headed out to Coronado Island to go to the beach. For any of you who like to vacation in San Diego, Coronado beach is by far the cleanest, most family friendly beach in the area. Also, it's NEVER very crowded.
All the boys had a blast on the beach. Hayes enjoyed eating the sand. Davis enjoyed eating the snacks & sandwiches I brought. Park & Easton loved playing in the waves and trying to dig their way to China on the beach. It was a really fun afternoon.

That night we ate dinner at RJ & I's FAVORITE, FAVORITE restaurant, Miguel's. SO YUMMY!! I've been craving it for the last 3 years. It is the best little Mexican food ever. The restaurant itself is hidden in the middle of a little hotel on Coronado. YUM, YUM, YUM!!

RJ & I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Coronado. It has our favorite restaurant, our favorite beach & our favorite hotel. If we were rich we would take a couple getaway there & stay at "The Del" as often as we could. But with rooms that run over $400 a night...that is NOT POSSIBLE. So we just stay in a cheaper hotel and drive into Coronado & pretend like we're staying there.
This was our most spontaneous, cheapest, shortest BUT FUNNEST trip EVER!! We had such a great time with no plan and spending no money! It was a much needed getaway that the whole family enjoyed!

1 comment:

kristenhcubed said...

During our 4 years in AZ we only went to San Diego once. We've since decided that was a stikin' shame. Looks like you had a great trip! Good on ya.