Yesterday, RJ & I went to get our temple recommends renewed. We got to be interviewed by a member of our stake presidency. It's been 2 years since we've had a personal interview with them. And for some reason, the last question in the interview has REALLY stuck in my mind & heart. I'm paraphrasing but the question is something like...
"Do you deem yourself worthy to enter the house of the Lord..."
Sooo...do I? I have MANY flaws and am in NO WAY perfect by any means. But I think for the first time in my life, I can answer in a resounding & reaffirming YES!!
My entire life, I have "mostly" followed the commandments. I've never been much of a rebel. There are a few things in my teens years that I look back on and question "What was I thinking??" But even those things were not serious by any means...just normal teenage antics
But it seems to me that in the last 8 years...something finally "clicked" in my mind and I've come to understand the importance of following ALL the Lord's commandments. I've learned that this means following them...big or small...all the time...convenient or not, even if they may seem un-important. And I have to say that I am truly, truly grateful for this understanding and awareness.
My life has been blessed with 4 beautiful boys & 1 AMAZING husband, of which I am thankful for everyday. As I am growing wise in my old age...(hee, hee) I know that these 5 boys are the MOST important thing to me in my life. I want nothing more than to stand by my husbands side and be with my boys throughout eternity. THIS IS MY GOAL!! It's a daunting task when I stop to think about it. How am I, a person with so many imperfections, going to raise these boys to be great and responsible priesthood holders? What can I do to ensure that they receive the priesthood, go on missions, make it to the temple to be sealed to there spouses, and MOST IMPORTANTLY live worthy to be with me and RJ for the rest of eternity? I think I've found the answer...
"Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceeded that which is great." D&C 64:33
In my mind this means it's up to me to teach them all that they need to know about the importance of the gospel & it's principles by MY EXAMPLE!!! Line upon line & precept upon precept, all the commandments both big & small. That means doing what I know is right all the time and always Standing as a Witness to Christ.
Such as...
-Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy
-Attending ALL my meetings (even though, sometimes it may seem pointless because I have an 18 mo. old who I stand in the hall with.)
-Staying away from inappropriate movies, TV shows, music & magazines, and doing my best to keep it out of my house.
-ALWAYS dressing in appropriate in clothing that is modest. Even when I'm cleaning the house, working out, or spending the day by the pool.
-Doing my best to have family prayer, family scripture study & Family Home Evening
-Teaching my boys GOOD, BETTER, BEST choices.
-Speaking kindly to those around me. Using appropriate language. And not speaking ill of others.
-Serving others willingly & gratefully.
-Accepting ANY and ALL church assignments. Whether they are comfortable with it or not. Even if the assignment is more work than they want to put into it...they should ALWAYS say yes. Church assignments are given to us to help us grow. There are many things that I would've NEVER had the opportunity to learn about my self or learn that I am capable of, if I would've said NO to the assignment.
-Teaching them to BE AN EXAMPLE of righteousness. Even though most of the time it's not cool!!
-Teaching them to be honest with there fellow men in all dealings.
- Living with integrity. And knowing that something is wrong because it's not ethical, even when the law may say it's right
-MOST IMPORTANTLY..."Standing as a Witness of Christ at all times, and in all things, and in all places."
Many times it seems so overwhelming. But how sad I would be if I made it to the pearly gates and our Father in Heaven told me, "Your kids could've made, if only you were a better example to them." My heart would break!! So I have determined that if they don't make it, it won't be because I didn't teach them by example. So that is what I am trying to do, each and everyday, teach my boys gospel principles by the choices they see me make. Teaching them "the ideal." After that, the choice is up to them. They have their free agency to make the choices they want but I never want to look back and say "If only..."

4 comments:
You doing a fantastic job. I would know - having taught two of your boys in Primary. :) You are an inspiration to me.
That was supposed to say - you are NOT you. I think I am too tired to be typing. :)
I always have the same feeling when that question is asked. I struggle with feelings of inadequacy, but I read that when you are feeling weak or inadequate that it is good cause it means you can see your flaws and what to work on so we can draw closer to God. That made me feel so much better.
Post a Comment