Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome Our Little Miracle

So...We were scheduled to go in to be induced Monday (4/13) late in the evening, so that Hayes would be delivered on April 14th sometime. The hospital couldn't fit us in until Tuesday (4/14) at about 3:30pm, so off we went. After a LONG and COMPLICATED delivery,(let's just say, how many times do you have to get an epidural for it to work? Apparently, for me, it's 3-4 times...no exhagerating)

Hayes Romney Muller arrived:
April 15th, 2009 @ 2:46am
8 lbs. 4 oz. 20 1/4" Long
Tons of blonde hair
We were so delighted to have him here!!

Right after he was delivered, Dr. McKernan informed me that there was a "ture" knot in his umbilical cord. Also, the cord was wrapped around his neck. I wasn't too worried about the cord being around his neck because that has happened with 2 of my other deliveries. However, I was VERY worried about the cord having a knot. Dr McKernan then told us we were very blessed that Hayes was here and he was OK because he only delivers about 3 babies a year with "true" knots in there cords and usually 2 of them are stillborns.
This information plus the fact that Hayes was not crying (not even a peep), had me a little freaked out. The entire staff that was in the delivery room kept telling me he was fine but as a Mom, I couldn't help but worry. They quickly cleaned him up and handed him to me, so that I would calm down.
After the staff got me and the baby all set, RJ & I got to enjoy Hayes by ourselves for about an hour until we noticed that each time he was breathing, he was grunting/humming. He was also blowing bubbles out of his mouth with each exhale. Needless to say, my mom senses went into overdrive and we called the nursery. They came and got him and said they would take him for a couple hours so they could get him cleaned up, & then bring him back to us. RJ & I were exhausted after a long night of labor & delivery, so we fell asleep. When we woke up at 7 am, to realized that the nursery had never brought Hayes back to us. We were a little alarmed. Apparently, after having Hayes in there care for a little while, they decided they needed to run some tests on him for the humming/grunting while breathing. Also, he was unable to keep his body temperature up, and uncontrollably shaking. They spent the day testing him for all sorts of things.
After the numerous tests, x-rays and blood work. It came back that he had retained some fluid in his lungs from the delivery. Usually, they expel all the fluid when they come out of the birth canal but since he had the cord around his neck and never really cried, He didn't get all the fluid out. Also, the shaking they said was an "hyper sensitive startle reflex." So Hayes spent the next 24 hours under a heater being watched closely by the nursing staff. I will say that all the nurses just LOVED that a little blonde baby had a full hairstyle when he was born. I am truly grateful for AMAZING nurses that took care of my sweet baby. They gave him 110% of there attention, (probably because I was so neurotic about it).
So after 24 hours, and keeping his body temp up, he got to come stay with RJ & I in my room. While he was with us, he did WONDERFUL!!
All seems to be well. We FINALLY got to come home on Friday (4/17). His big brothers are so happy to have Hayes & I home. I'm so happy to be home, to have a happy healthy baby boy join RJ & I, and our other 3 boys. Pray that our little Hayes will continue to grow and develop the way he is supposed too and that he will continue to get stronger each and every day. I feel very blessed and humbled that I have this little "miracle" in our family.

6 comments:

Talia said...

you poor thing, that sounds so stressful.I love the nursery staff they take such great care of the babies.He is so cute, congratulations.

Ashley said...

Congratulations! I know that fear you're talking about. When my daughter was born she didn't breathe "right" for about five hours, so we had visitors coming and I'd have to say "She's not here, but you can go look at her in the nursery." Fortunately, all was, and is, well, and she's a happy, healthy 4-year-old. I so wish I was there to hold your new little one! Congratulations to you and RJ. Love you both!

Stacie said...

Oh what a blessing that little guy is, and look he is already giving you a run for your money. I am glad to hear mommy and baby are safe and sound he is adorable!

Nicole (Arteca) Parker said...

So glad everything is going well. Congratulations! What a beautiful family!

Scott and Jillian said...

I'm glad to here that your sweet little guy is doing alright. Let me know if you need anything!!

Jennie said...

Congrats!! I found your blog via Mandy Taylor's. What a crazy birth experience. I'm glad that everything is going good now. Hayes looks like Davis to me. What a cutie!

We miss you guys!